Full Moon Final Friday…July 2015!

It’s the Final Friday of July, and tonight’s full moon makes it a ‘blue’ moon. Astrologically, a ‘blue’ moon would be a full moon twice in the same sign, which would not necessarily fall in the same calendar month. Me, I’m not picky. I’ll celebrate either one! It’s difficult for me to get nice pictures of the moon, since my camera isn’t the greatest at taking pictures at night. It’s good for some shots, but not others. I’ll upgrade soon, which will be nice. Then I’ll be able to post great photos of the night sky over the Pacific Ocean.

Credit: earthsky.org

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the reporting of Jimmy Hoffa’s disappearance. His date of disappearance is reported as either the 30th or 31st of July; just one interesting detail in the life and death of a man who did many things, both good and bad, in the name of doing something good for (most) American workers. From Wikipedia:

James RiddleJimmyHoffa (born February 14, 1913 – disappeared July 30, 1975) was an American labor union leader and author who vanished in late July 1975 at age 62.

Hoffa was a union activist from a young age, and was an important regional figure with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) union by his mid-twenties. By 1952, Hoffa had risen to national vice-president of the IBT, and served as the union’s general president between 1958 and 1971. He secured the first national agreement for teamsters’ rates in 1964. Hoffa played a major role in the growth and development of the union which eventually became the largest (by membership) in the United States with over 1.5 million members at its peak, during his terms as its leader. He was a civil rights supporter and expressed this in many statements.

Hoffa became involved with organized crime from the early years of his Teamsters work, and this connection continued until his disappearance in 1975. He was convicted of jury tampering, attempted bribery, and fraud in 1964, in two separate trials. He was imprisoned in 1967 and sentenced to 13 years, after exhausting the appeal process. In mid-1971 he resigned as president of the union, an action that was part of a pardon agreement with President Richard Nixon, to facilitate his release later that year. Nixon blocked Hoffa from union activities until 1980 (which would have been the end of his prison term, had he served the full sentence). Hoffa, hoping to regain support and to return to IBT leadership, unsuccessfully attempted to overturn this order.

Hoffa vanished in late July 1975, having last been seen outside the Machus Red Fox, a suburban Detroit restaurant.[1] His disappearance gave rise to many theories as to what happened to him. He is widely believed to have been murdered.[2] He was declared legally dead in 1982.

A collection of papers related to Hoffa is cared for by the Special Collections Research Center of The George Washington University. The collection contains a variety of materials, including newspaper and magazine articles, trial transcripts, copies of congressional hearings, and publicity materials.[3]

There is a lot of information out there about him – and of course, there are many conspiracy theories as well. Fascinating to read about, nonetheless.

The young ladies of Chibok, Nigeria, have been away from their families for 473 days, now. It’s heartbreaking to think about. Hopefully something is being done to ensure their safe return; if there is, there isn’t much being said about it.

On a positive note, some justice might be done for Samuel DuBose, an unarmed man who was murdered by a Cincinnati campus officer on 19 July. From the Huffington Post:

Two University of Cincinnati police officers involved in a colleague’s recent fatal shooting of Samuel DuBose also were on hand for a 2010 struggle with a psychiatric patient who later died. Officers Eric Weibel and Phillip Kidd were among seven University of Cincinnati police officers and other officials named in a lawsuit alleging the wrongful death of Kelly Brinson, a 45-year-old mentally ill university hospital patient. Hospital staff summoned officers to help subdue Brinson, who became agitated when put in seclusion, according to court documents first reported by The Guardian. Kidd and Weibel gave written statements that they restrained Brinson, while another officer used a Taser stun gun on him. Brinson went into cardiac arrest and died days later, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported. The Hamilton County coroner ruled Brinson died from natural causes. His family settled the lawsuit for $638,000. Documents from the Brinson lawsuit are available online.”

There are far too many trigger-happy cops in this country…and too many trigger-happy citizens. That douchebag dentist from Minnesota is in hiding, and rightfully so. What he did was monstrous and unforgivable. What a waste. Lions are already endangered, and that worthless waste of space removed a prime specimen from the gene pool. So-called “trophy hunters” make me want to vomit. They are not hunters by any stretch of the imagination. Shooting something with a gun does not a hunter make. He was overcompensating for many things, I’d wager!

I’ll close with one decent trailer for The Elder Scrolls Online – pre-Tamriel Unlimited – and a couple of my favourite moon-related songs. Happy Friday, everyone!


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: